Sunday, July 3, 2011

Brief History

I figure I better set the stage a bit so you have an idea on where I am in my life...

I was a skinny, bossy and never sat still kinda kid. My mom says that I never walked... I ran. With the exception of asthma and eczema, I was pretty healthy too.

I started my period around the age of 12 (1992). I remember being so excited that I ran across the house to tell my mom that I was now a woman. I can still see her smile in my mind. You know, the "ha ha just wait little girl" kinda look.

I imagine that when a girl starts her cycle, nothing is normal. Periods are irregular and light at first but eventually their bodies get on track. Well, that just never happened for me.

I don't recall exactly the years when we noticed a problem but I'd say it was probably the 8th or 9th grade. The menstrual cramps would be so bad that it would make me vomit and a couple of times black out. Now days most women would probably say they too experience similar issues however mine got worse to the point of having to stay in bed wearing an adult diaper, popping horrible "horse pills" as I would call them, to control the pain.

My grandma would have to cut up the pill in applesauce to get it down me. I'm not a pill fan at all! I have trouble swallowing them.

Anyway, this went on for years progressing to the point of serious back pain. When I couldn't walk without being in terrible pain, my mom took me to our family doctor. He looked me over thinking it was something to do with my back. Nothing came from it though, it wasn't my back.

Puberty helped me gain a little bit of weight but eventually that all shifted up, thank goodness. By the time I graduated high school I was around 150 pounds, which is pretty good for my frame.  I still had horrible trouble with my cycles but after years of the same old crap, I grew used to it.

In September of 1999 I met, Matthew, my husband. Just two days into hanging out, I knew this was the man I was going to marry. By November we were engaged and then Married April 1, 2000.

I'd say from January 2000 through that summer, I strangely put on over 100 pounds. My eating habits didn't change from before but I still put on the weight. I figured it was because I got married. They say you usually gain weight when you marry.

Matthew and I noticed that my cycles started doing weird things. I'd go months without a cycle at all and then I'd bleed for months at a time. I was also experiencing extreme mood swings. I think it kinda freaked Matt out at the time. I feel sorry for him having to deal with a crazy new bride not knowing what to do to make me feel better. Don't worry, he toughed it out and is probably more of an "expert" than me. ha ha!

Well this started the long adventure with doctor after doctor...

We started with our primary doctor who referred me to a new GYN. She immediately thought Endometriousis. She started me on some injections. After about 3 months of this, nothing changed. Matthew didn't like this particular doctor so we went to another GYN to get another opinion. The new one Matthew DID like. He was completely honest and detailed with us. He started with simple blood work. From that he noticed high levels of testosterone. He had a hunch and did some more blood work. He found that I was insulin resistant. After some further tests and research he told us that he concluded that I have PCOS.

There we have it.... I was officially diagnosed with PCOS.

Note: this all happened over the course of 6-7 years.



(For more information on PCOS Diagnosis, PCOS Treatment, PCOS Diet, PCOS Studies, PCOS Support, etc. visit My PCOS Treatment - http://www.my-pcos-treatment.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment